What Kaspersky Lab Research Report Tells?
It’s a common approach that various Antivirus vendors does apply , a final security lab research report published quarterly or at the end of a year.The famous security advisor Kaspersky too come up with a “IT threat Evolution” report based on online threats.Let’s focus what these reports has to convey to normal web users.
- According to the report during the second quarter of 2011, the number of fake antivirus programs detected globally by Kaspersky Lab began to increase. Here is a list of Top fake antivirus programs.
- And to a surprise the number of users whose computers blocked attempts to install counterfeit software increased 300% in just three months.
- Increase in the number of malicious programs targeting mobile platforms and their distribution via app stores, official Android Market was again infiltrated by malicious programs.
- Hacking threat to major companies like Sony, Honda, Fox News.
- Rise of Hacktivism -hacking or bringing down systems in protest against the actions of governments or large corporations — is continuing to gain momentum.
- Positive approach from governments world-wide by tightening up Cyber crime laws.
- In the The Top 20 malicious objects detected on the Internet-based on Kaspersky , Top place in the ranking is occupied by various malicious URLs (65.44%) — addresses of web pages serving exploit kits, bots, ransomware Trojans, etc.
- Among top Malware hosting countries , USA leads.
- For Top 10 countries in which users’ computers run the highest risk of infection via the web ,Oman [55%] leads dangerously.
- Among Safe-surfing countries are Switzerland (20.9%), Poland (20.2%), Singapore (19.6%) and Germany (19.1%).
- The lowest percentages of users attacked while surfing the web are in Japan (13%) and Taiwan (13.7%).
- Attack by Removable storage media using the “autoplay” function are mainly common among Asian countries.
- Over the last few years, asian countries like India has been growing steadily more attractive to cybercriminals as the number of computers in the country increases steadily.
- Adobe Products like Adobe reader and Adobe Flash still risk as major vulnerability Threats to web followed by Sun Java JDK / JRE / SDK [Oracle] .
- Surprisingly Microsoft products have disappeared from the top vulnerability product list , and the main reason is due to improvements in the automatic Windows update mechanism and the growing proportion of users who have Windows 7 installed on their PCs.
- The report also predict new social networks like Google+ , and favorites like Facebook, Twitter are bound to attract both cybercriminals and cyber-vandals and will certainly increase over time.
As a conclusion the report suggest users to have a constant update on common products like Adobe reader, Flash player and Oracle Java base products.Get rid of fake/rogue antivirus products, also links appearing in social networks and apply constant OS security updates like wise. Read full report.